Immaculate Conception School has been an example of academic excellence for over 150 years beginning its heritage in 1864. The school was founded with the assistance of the Sisters of Charity and served the largely immigrant population who settled in the Gas House District of the Lower East Side of Manhattan. Between 1907 and 1917 more than 3,000 children crowded into the school which provided the education needed to escape the poverty and discrimination experienced by the residents of this area. Over the next 15 years, changes in immigration laws, an increase in affordable housing in other boroughs, and the expansion of the BMT and IRT subway lines, led to a decline in the parish population. Immaculate Conception did not close its doors to those remaining.
In 1943 The Metropolitan Life Insurance Company embarked on the building of Stuyvesant Town and Peter Cooper Village. Block after block in the Gas House District was bought and construction of this “residential experiment” to house returning war veterans and their families began. After the sale of the original parish buildings to Metropolitan Life, the Archdiocese of New York purchased the vacated Grace Chapel complex across 14th Street and converted the buildings to suit the needs of a Catholic parish.
The new Immaculate Conception School opened officially in 1946 and has been a second home to the thousands of children who passed through its doors. In the early 1970’s a dedicated group of lay faculty took the place of the Sisters of Charity. Through this time, every effort was made to keep Immaculate Conception School affordable and accessible to all.
The success of our school lies greatly in its ability to look ahead to the future while staying true to our foundation of academic excellence and inclusivity.